Orange and Almond Cake
Many club members requested the recipe for this delicious cake Lynne StQuinten served at our last meeting.
Preparation Time 15 – 20 mins
Cooking Time 25 – 30 mins
1 medium orange – not more than 175g
175g butter, must be softened
175g light muscovado sugar ( I use any brown sugar)
175g self raising flower
1 tsp bicarb
50g ground almonds ( If you don’t have ground almonds grind them first before the orange)
Icing Sugar for dredging
- Preheat the oven to 190C, Gas 5/ Fan oven 170c. Grease and base line a 23c, / 9 inch round 5cm/2inch deep cake tin.( I don’t line the base)
- Cut the whole orange – skin pith flesh the lot into pieces. Remove the pips, then wiz the orange in a food processor to a finely chopped puree.
- Tip the butter, sugar, eggs, flour, bicarb and almonds into the processor and whizz for 20 seconds, scrape around sides and whizz again for another 10 secs until smooth. Pour into the prepared tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes, until the cake is risen and brown.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 5 mins before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Dredge thickly with icing sugar before serving.