Pear and Cardamon Spice Cake
Contributor: Nicky Rutherfoord
125g caster sugar
2 eggs lightly beaten
225g plain flour
15ml baking powder
Crushed seeds from 2 cardamon pods
50 gr chopped walnuts
15ml poppy seeds
575 gr dessert pears, peeled cored and thinly sliced
3 walnut halves
Reserved pear slices
46ml clear honey
- Preheat oven to 180C, grease and base-line the tin (pan) with greaseproof paper.
- Cream butter and sugar together until pale and light. Gradually beat in the eggs, a little at a time, until incorporated. Sift the flour and baking powder together, and fold in with the milk.
- Stir in the cardamom, chopped nuts and poppy seeds. Reserve one-third of the pear slives, and chop the rest. Fold the chopped pears into the creamed mixture.
- Transfer to the prepared tinl. Smooth the surface, making a small dip in the centre.
- Place the three walnut halves in the centre of the cake mixture, and fan the reserved pear slices around the walnuts, covering the cake mixture. Bake for 1¼ to 1½ hours, or until a skewer, inserted in the centre, comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and brush with clear honey. Cool in pan for 20 minutes, transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.